3 Carat Engagement RingsJanuary 12, 2022 – Posted in: Jewelry Blog
Are you in search of a stunning, statement-making engagement ring to make your upcoming nuptials truly special? Read our comprehensive guide and browse through our collection of rare and unique 3 carat diamond engagement rings.
Emerson Ring. Circa 1945 (Vintage, Retro Era)$56,000
Whitby Ring. Circa 1920 (Antique, Art Deco Era)$40,000
Osborne Ring. Circa 1960$60,000
Stratton Ring. Circa 1920$55,000
Bel Air Ring$54,000
Stockton Ring. Circa 1880 (Antique, Victorian Era)$30,000
3 Carat Diamond Ring Guide
Our collection of rare 3-carat engagement rings is curated by our experts over the past 35 years. Are you seeking a gift for that special someone or are you looking to add a new piece to your collection? We’re confident that you’ll find your next treasure among our curated rings. Here are a few of our favorite designs from past and present.
* Please note that not all of our 3-carat engagement rings are posted online. If you’d like to inquire about our full collection of 3-carat engagement rings, or if you’re looking for a specific size, setting, color, or design, please contact our showroom.
Why Choose a 3 Carat Diamond Engagement Ring?
The 3ct diamond vintage engagement rings is a popular choice for those with a cultivated taste for fine jewelry. One of the strongest advantages of the 3.00ct – 3.99ct range is its size. A three-carat diamond is large enough to be dominant and bold, but not too big to be overly flashy or get in the way. Since the supply of quality 3 carat diamonds is very limited and there aren’t many boutiques that collect them, customers tend to gravitate towards the few collectors that have them in their collection.
Please note that we have not listed all of our 3 carat rings on our website. If you want to see more rings, please inform us of the specific size or color diamond that you want.
How much does a 3 carat diamond cost?
It would be hard to determine the cost for a 3 carat diamond (excluding the mounting) without knowing more information in regards to the details of the diamond. Here is a general guide:
- A D color, IF clarity and 3.00 carat round diamond should cost approx $240,000.
- An E, F or G color, VS2 clarity and 3.00 carat round diamond should cost approx $65,000 – $90,000
- An H or I color, VS2 clarity and 3.00 carat round diamond should cost approx $45,000 – $55,000.
- A J color, VS2 clarity and 3.00 carat round diamond should cost approx $35,000.
Obviously, there are many other factors that can cause the price to ascend or descend. The above list should be able to give you a general idea of how much three carat diamonds are worth.
How to Bring Down the Cost of Your 3 Carat Diamond
There are many situations where two very similar diamond will have very different prices. Here are some of the big factors that could change the price of a diamond:
- The color. The whiter the diamond the more it is worth. The color scale ranges along a graduation from D to Z. D color = colorless, K color = slight tint of yellow, and Z color = very yellow.
- The carat. The larger the diamond (or more correctly the weight), the better.
- The clarity. The fewer inclusions within the 3 carat diamond, the more that it will be worth.
- The caliber of the diamond cut. A more perfect cuts demand a higher premium.
- The presence of strong fluorescence will lower the premium by a lot.
- The type of diamond cut. The round cut usually costs more than the other cuts. For example: Round 3.00 carat, J color and VS2 clarity = $37,500. Cushion 3.00 carat, J color and VS2 clarity = $28,500.
- Face-up. Some diamonds have a more white appearance in spite of their certified color and will fetch a slight premium.
If you want a 3 carat diamond, but cannot afford the asking price, speak with your jeweler. Discover which aspects of the diamond you want and what you don’t mind compromising on. It could be that you have no problem having a diamond with strong fluorescence which can bring your price down considerably.
Market Value Prices of 3 Carat Diamonds
Below is a chart of the prices for (good quality round-cut) 3.00-carat diamonds. You can expect the price to waver a little, but not by too much. The more expensive and rare the diamond, the higher the premium. Diamonds that are D and Flawless will typically sell for a lot more than listed on the diamond charts.
|Color Range||SI1 Clarity||VS2 Clarity||IF Clarity|
What are the Dimensions of a 3-Carat Diamond?
The dimensions will fluctuate vastly depending on the quality of the diamond-cut and depending on the type of cut. Assuming that the cut quality is very high, we have compiled a list of the measurements of 3-carat diamonds.
- Round Cut 3 carat Diamond: 9.50mm x 9.50mm x 5.70mm
- Asscher Cut 3 carat Diamond: 7.8mm x 7.8mm x 5.3mm
- Emerald Cut 3 carat Diamond: 10mm x 7mm x 4.7mm
- Square Cushion Cut 3 carat Diamond*: 8.38mm x 8.38mm x 5.50mm
- Princess Cut 3 carat Diamond: 8.05mm x 8.05mm x 5.80mm
*Because 3 carat cushion cut diamond ring vary in size we could only give the approximate dimensions of a very square cushion cut. Most cushion cuts are rectangular and would, therefore, have very different dimensions.
How Will a 3 Carat Diamond Ring Look on My Finger?
The picture below shows how large a 3 carat ring might look on your hand. The model’s finger shown is a size 5.5 which is slightly smaller than the average finger.
The left picture shows a 3ct diamond ring with a halo of diamonds surrounding it. The picture on the right shows a solitaire 3 ct diamond ring with diamonds along the shoulders. The larger illusion that is shown due to the halo of diamonds is rather compelling.
Shoulder design and filigree can also make your ring appear larger, but it is not usually as effective as the diamond halo design.
It is important to remember that the 3-carat diamond will already look impressive and note-worthy and will not likely need a halo as reinforcement.
How Can I Buy a 3 Carat Engagement Ring?
As mentioned before, there aren’t many jewelry stores that carry a collection of 3 carat diamond rings. Estate Diamond Jewelry has been curating a collection of 3 carat diamond rings for over 35 years. Our collection consists of 3 carat diamonds within rare vintage rings, fine handcrafted mountings, and even signed mountings from important jewelry houses.
Before buying a 3 carat engagement rings, we recommend asking the jeweler a few questions:
- All the information on the diamond. Don’t settle for any ambiquoty. Make sure that you have all the diamond specifications like carat, color, calrity, cut, and age.
- Ensure that the diamond is antique and/or comes from an ethical source
- Request documentation for the diamond
- Ensure that you have jewelry insurance in place. Jewelry insurance is highly recommended for any jewelry over $1,000
- Research the online reputation of the jewelry store because you don’t want to discover their reputation once it is too late
At Estate Diamond Jewelry, our dedicated staff will be able to give you all the necessary details regarding each diamond. If the ring is vintage, they will also try and provide historical anecdotes behind the piece you’re interested in.
Talk to a Diamond Expert
We can be reached directly in our showroom, during business hours, at (212) 265-3868. You may also reach us via email at email@example.com. Allow our team to help you select an elegant 3 carat ring today.